« TiVo Provides Some Insight into SuperBowl Viewing Habits | Main | Target Exec Explains Importance of Brand in Competition with Wal-Mart, Kmart »

First Impressions of "Running Weblogs with Slash"

Dave Aiello wrote, "Yesterday, I received my copy of Running Weblogs with Slash from our friends at Amazon.com. After browsing through it after dinner, I have come to the conclusion that it's a must-read for people who are installing or trying to maintain a Slash 2.x-based site."

"Running Weblogs with Slash seems like a well balanced book. It devotes an equal amount of space to an overview of Slash architecture, installation, community building, look and feel customizations, and advanced administration. These subjects represent about 75 percent of the book. The remaining 25 percent, which is actually the middle of the book, is devoted to basic administration of a Slash site. As far as I'm concerned, this section takes a lot of the trial-and-error out of the process of starting up a Slash site, from an administrative perspective."

"You may know that I run CTDATA.com and RCNJ.org on top of a substantially modified version of the Slash 0.3 codebase, which we refer to internally as Slash 0.4. I have been waiting for the right moment to embark on The Big Upgrade, and lately, I've been holding off on moving ahead because I thought this book would help us. At this point I have to say that I'm glad we waited."

"I hightly recommend purchase of the book. Practically everyone who has a Slash site or is trying to build one will learn something from it. I will try to post a more detailed review here, after I have a chance to read the book in greater depth."

Post a comment

(If you haven't left a comment here before, you may need to be approved by the site owner before your comment will appear. Until then, it won't appear on the entry. Thanks for waiting.)


CTDATA Venutures (CTDATA) develops Internet and Intranet applications for corporations and non profit organizations. Our services include:

  • Consulting services for Movable Type and TypePad-based publishing systems (visit our Weblog Improvement website for more information),
  • Financial services business process consulting,
  • Content management system and knowledge management system consulting,
  • Apache web server engineering and hosting,
  • MySQL, Sybase, and Microsoft SQL Server architecture and development,
  • SOAP, REST, and XML-RPC system architecture and programming, including Amazon Web Services and
  • Weblog publishing.
For more information, contact Dave Aiello by email at dave [at] daveaiello.com or call him at +1-267-352-4420.
Copyright © 1995-2010, CTDATA Ventures. All Rights Reserved.
Powered by
Movable Type 4.25